I love a little red cabbage for Christmas. I boil mine in vegetable stock and add apple, dried cranberries, red wine vinegar and agave. It is so simple and makes the perfect side dish to vegan meatballs and gravy for example, mashed potatoes or veggie hamburgers with creamy cashew sauces.
- 1 small head of red cabbage (approximately 0.5 kilo)
- 2 small red apples, or 1 large
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave
- 2 cups high quality vegetable stock (or more - need to cover the cabbage in the pot when it starts to boil)
- A little salt (depends on the salt level in your vegetable stock - use this to taste)
- Shred the cabbage and the apples. Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to boil. Stir occasionally, taste and remove after about 45 minutes to one hour. Most liquid should be gone by now. The flavour should be a little tangy and sweet to perfectly compliment other more hearty flavours such as meatballs, mashed potatoes and creamy sauces. This is nothing you eat on its own, but it is amazing when combined with other things.