This is so simple to prepare it can hardly even be called a recipe! Definitely plan a sauce to go with it – take a look at the suggestions below. It also works to add some toasted pine nuts, fresh parsley and a little cheese (vegan or non-vegan) on top before serving for added texture and flavour. Enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1 cm thick pieces.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A pinch salt
- A pinch fresh black pepper
- A few sprigs of rosemary or thyme
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees. Stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slice the eggplant and add to the bowl, massaging in the dressing making sure the eggplant slices are coated properly. Place them one by one in an oven tray on parchment paper and add to the preheated oven. They are ready after approximately 20 to 25 minutes (keep a close eye as they burn easily) when properly cooked throughout and a little brown on top.
- While the eggplants are in the oven, prepare a sauce of your liking e.g this one or this or this