My son is at the age when he will drink anything as long as he gets to cling glasses and say cheers. So timing is perfect to load his growing little body with nutrients by making a smoothie (not that he wouldn’t have drunk it otherwise, as it tastes terrific. The flavour is very kids friendly indeed).
It was our pre-dinner drink last night, and our breakfast this morning.
- Approximately 2 cups fresh spinach (or use frozen)
- 1.5 cups fresh or frozen berries (I use blueberries, strawberries or raspberries or a mix of the three)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice from one lime or lemon
- ½ cup almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
- 1.5 cups coconut water. More to get to your desired consistency. Replace with normal water if you don't have coconut water at home.
- 1 tbsp hemp powder (optional, but great source of protein)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed oil (optional but fantastic source of omega 3. Also helps to keep skin soft this time of the year)
- Put all ingredients into a blender and run on full speed until smooth. Drink immediately.