Red lentil dal with carrots and green peas
1 Planet Plant-Based tbsp coconut oil
- large cloves garlic, crushed/pressed
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 1.5 cups dried red lentils
- 2 tsp cumin powder (kreuzkummel/spiskummin)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crush before adding to the pan
- 1 tsp curcuma powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 tbsp powdered vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari (or other soy sauce)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Generous bunch of coriander, chopped. Save a little for garnish.
If you're going to have rice with your dal, check the cooking times for this and if needed start by putting this on. The dal will take about 40 minutes from now on, so plan for the rice accordingly.
- Chop/crush all ingredients as needed. Then bring a pan to medium to low heat and melt the coconut oil. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant before adding the carrots, the dried lentils, the cumin powder, the coriander seeds and the curcuma powder. Continue stirring for a minute - bring the fragrance out, but do not burn! - before adding the water, the coconut milk, the vegetable stock and the tamari. Boil on low heat under lid stirring once or twice.
- After 25 minutes, add the frozen green peas, the chopped coriander and the lime juice. Taste and add more tamari and lime if needed. Leave for another five minutes before serving.