Tuscany inspired creamy tomato soup with bread and basil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme
- A handful cauliflower florets, chopped
- ⅓ cup white wine
- A pinch of salt, more to taste
- 2 cans tomatoes (of good quality)
- ½ tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (if not vegan, you can use parmesan cheese)
- ¼ cup gluten free bread crumbs
- A very small handful of fresh basil
- A little freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat and add the chopped onion. Dry-sauté for about seven minutes while stirring, until the onions start to go translucent. Then add the garlic, the thyme and the cauliflower. Sauté for another half a minute while stirring - do not burn! - and then add the white wine to deglaze, followed after half a minute with the canned tomatoes, the salt and the maple syrup/sweetener. Bring to a boil.
- After about a minute, remove the pan from the stove and add the nutritional yeast, the breadcrumbs, the basil and a little pepper. Move it all into a food processor and blend thoroughly for a minute or two until completely smooth. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Now quickly move on to prepare the topping. Crumble the gluten free bread and finely chop the basil. Combine the two and add salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and top with the bread/basil mix.