Vegan Christmas – Saffron ice cream with cranberries and pistachios
- ½ cup cashew nuts, soaked for a few hours. Then remove soaking water. They will now have expanded in size.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 0.5 grams saffron
- ⅓ cup agave
- A pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- A handful of pistachios, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Soak the cashew nuts. I normally say skip this step if you don't have sufficient time, but for this one, really try to soak for at least a few hours. This ice cream becomes so much creamier for it.
- Simmer the coconut oil with the saffron in a pot on low heat for a few minutes until the aroma and colour are fully released - the coconut milk will catch a deep yellow colour.
- Pour it into a blender and add the cashew nuts, the agave and the sea salt. Run the blender on full sped for a few minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides a few times if needed, to make sure that all ingredients blend fully until completely smooth.
- Pour into a container. Roughly chop the cranberries and pop them in evenly. Place i the freezer for a few hours, stirring a few times. Take out ten minutes before serving. Scoop into serving bowls (or cones) and top with the chopped pistachios.